Saturday, December 28, 2013

Gym Membership+ A Gym Goer Back Workout

As you guys may know, I am not only the "Clean Eating Teen"... I am also the clean eating Yogi and Strength Trainer.


A recent picture I posted on Instagram. 

Of course, I say the latter with caution, because it sure doesn't seem like it by just looking at me.

If you didn't know me, you'd think I'd never lifted a dumbbell in my life. Quiet the contrary: I have been an avid strength trainer just as long as I have been practicing yoga.

Due to young age and limited budget, I never have had the opportunity to get a gym membership. One summer a few years ago I had one at my local rec center, but I didn't use it to it's full potential and it's equipment was limited.

Instead, I have utilized resistance in the form of body weight, a few pairs of home dumbbells, a kettle bell and a resistance band. And I HAVE gained strength- I can now do REAL pushups people! This wasn't even in my horizon back three years ago! Maybe not significant size has been gained, but my stamina, endurance, and strength have improved in these past years, all in the comfort of my own home.


Look what we have here! I got my sister to do Insanity with me!! 

This is something I am SUPER proud of, yes. But in the past year or so, my REAL goal has been to gain muscle. Especially when I have a best friend who can leg press 400 lbs at her gym!!

It has been frustrating, and I have expressed my desire to finally go to a real gym with my family. So, this past holiday... guess what?

I GOT A GYM MEMBERSHIP!!


Image via Google Images

I am SO excited to say that I now can join my best friend Taylor whenever she goes to our local Anytime Fitness! 

I really love Anytime Fitness, not only because I can go any time of the day, but also because I can easily use any facility no matter where I am at. This really came in handy during the holidays at my grandmothers... she has an Anytime Fitness right by her house!

Usually, when I went out of town, a would bring a few pieces of equipment and workout on site, like with this workout here. But now I don't have to anymore! It's such an awesome feeling :)

I'm not gonna lie, the gym is pretty intimidating. There are a lot of things I need to get used to... I want to learn proper form for barbell movements such as squats and deadlifts. Plus, the machines and cables can also be confusing with the many seating adjustments and different handles.

The gym is also very humbling. Taylor (and a few other nice people at the gym) have been helping me learn new moves. It is really embarrassing, having to ask for help. It is also embarrassing to not be able to lift as much as the girl or guy next to me. But you know what? I am NOT ashamed. I am excited to embark on this new journey, and I know that any other dedicated lifter would be proud of a newbie like me, and surely wouldn't laugh.



 Okay, they might laugh when I take pictures like this. But going to the gym doesn't count unless you take a selfie. Just sayin. 

Here is a back workout that I did recently. I felt the burn DAYS afterwards... I was planning on doing biceps too but they were already burning after this was over with.


I am by no means a professional, but I got the thumbs up from one of the coaches at my gym after showing them this workout. So hopefully you will like it too!

Try it out, and tell me if you feel the burn!

Do you go to a gym, or workout at home?
Were you intimidated by the gym at first?
What are you favorite gym workouts?

Natalie

No comments:

VGN