Monday, July 29, 2013

Squashy Chicks... Just read the recipe!

If you have read my posts before, you are probably aware that I am not exactly a huge meat eater. Not saying that eating meat is bad, just that my system feels ran down and sluggish when I eat animal products.
That being said, I seriously LOVE legumes. Lentils, pinto beans, black beans... they are by FAR my favorite source of protein.

Growing up in the south, both I and past generations were raised on having a big pot of pinto's with some corn bread for dinner a few nights a week. I still enjoy having a bowl of plain beans, with nothing else in the mixture... however, I do frequently take the time to be creative and try to break out of the down home cookin', plain East Texas suppers. ;)

Here is where this recipe came in... I've read lentil recipes that call for vegetables, and usually vegan chiles and soups call for beans with the accompany of fruits and/ or veggies. So why not create a little version of my own?

You'll get the title once you read the ingredients... no baby chicks were squashed in the making of this meal!



Squashy Chicks
Yields 5 servings 

1 large zucchini squash
1 large pattypan squash (or other soft squash)
1 cup kale, chopped
3 large tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (I used orange)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 lb dry chickpeas
3 bay leafs
1 TBSP chile powder
1/2 TBSP cumin powder
1 TSP black pepper
1/2 small can tomato paste, unsalted
1) QUICK SOAK the chickpeas by bringing them to a boil in regular water for 3 minutes. Turn heat off, cover, and let sit for at least an hour. 

2) Drain the beans, and put them in fresh water that covers them about an inch above. Add your spices, bay leafs, and bring to a low boil. Cover for an hour.


3) Chop up your harder veggies (so not the tomatoes) first, and add to the pot! 

4) Bring the boil up a bit, place in the harder vegetables, and cover for about 20 minutes. 

5) Add the tomatoes and the tomato paste, and stir well. Cover again for another 10 minutes.

6) Make sure all your vegetables are soft, then add your kale and cover again to let steam, about 5 minutes. Stir the mix of beans and vegetables up and enjoy!

This recipe does take a bit of prep work, but overall I found it pretty easy. You could try it with canned chickpeas but I am not sure if it would taste the same.

Try this recipe out, and tell me how you like it!

What are your favorite ways to enjoy beans?

Natalie

No comments:

VGN