Sunday, July 14, 2013

Raisin Rosemary Chicken with Pan Roasted Brussel Sprouts: Paleo, Sugar Free

Lately, I have been really inspired in the kitchen. For a while there I got into a bit of a rut, not quiet sure what to make and having trouble utilizing the ingredients on hand. The result of this was a few months of pretty repetitive meals...and no one likes that.

Luckily, I've been watching more shows like Chopped (one of my FAVORITES.) Recently I saw one with teenage competitors and really had the thought to apply... ha, I can dream ;) I also have checked out some books from my library, have been analyzing recipes via blogs, and so on... now days I am on a cooking 'high', and look forward to blending new herbs, sauteing different veggies, and using all sorts of various cooking techniques.

  Some of the books I've been reading. 

The other day I read a basic recipe on my Facebook news feed for a chicken marinade. It sounded yummy, so right away I whipped it up and let my chicken stand in it until needed, and until I decided on what else to add with it.

I decided on brussel sprouts. Yes, those nasty, odd looking things that your parents probably made you sit at the dinner table until you ate. (Or, at least, that's what happens in the movies) These miniature cabbage heads are the arch enemies of children all around the world! However, I really do not see why... I mean sure, they're green, and smell kinda weird if boiled... but give this recipe a try, and maybe you can overcome a life long fear of the things! ;)

We didn't have many fresh veggies on hand, so again (like in my latest recipe ) I utilized the wonders of frozen veggies! I just had to thaw the 'sprouts out before roasting them.

Anyway, this dinner turned out to be really good. I had it with a side of peas and carrots!


Raisin Rosemary Chicken with Pan Roasted Brussel Sprouts 
Yields 2 servings 

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (I used strips instead of whole breasts)
1/4 cup raisins
1 package frozen brussel sprouts, thawed (could also use equivalent amount of fresh)
TBSP coconut oil
1/4 cup unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
1 TSP black pepper
1 TSP garlic powder
2 twigs fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 TBSP dry)
1 TSP Dijon mustard
 2 TBSP ginger-infused balsamic vinegar


1) Gather your stock, vinegar, Dijon mustard, black pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary.

2) Measure out the above ingredients, and add them to your chicken in a pan. Mix together well, cover, and let marinade for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

3) Take your thawed sprouts (or fresh ones) and cut in halve.

4) On medium high heat, melt your coconut oil. Then, add your bussel sprouts face down.

5) Saute/ 'Roast' your sprouts for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the face side has browned. This should take about 5-10 minutes depending on the size of your sprouts.

6) With your cooking utensil (wooden spoon, ext), scoot your sprouts over to the side and add your chicken, being sure to pour the marinade liquid in with it.

7) Cover for about 7 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken), then flip it over to cook on the other side.

8) Once your chicken has cooked, throw in the raisins and reduce head to low. Cover for 5-7 minutes.

9) Chop your chicken into bite sized pieces, and enjoy!

So simple right? I had dinner done in about 30 minutes, 45 if you include prepping and chopping. While I was focused on this, I had my sweet peas and carrots cooking to the side. Multitasking! I love it.

 Anyway, try this out and tell me what you think! The rosemary from the marinade juice in-cooperates strangely well with the sprouts...

Whats your favorite way to eat those nasty brussel sprouts?

Natalie

1 comment:

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you actually burn fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

VGN