Monday, July 8, 2013

Avocado Hummus Recipe!

I love hummus.
I discovered it a few years ago and fell in love. I can't exactly remember how, but I was probably just sick of reading so much about it on the blogs and recipe sites I am subscribed to, and decided it was about time I bought some of my own. Enter... the Sabra obsession. 



Curse you, you creamy, cool, delicious container of brown mush.

Anyway, I know that I am not alone with the hummus trend going on here. One of my favorite bloggers (whom I have mentioned before), is Else from Hungry Hungry Hippie... she too is a proclaimed Sabra fanatic! 

And how could anyone not be? I understand if you are living a Paleo lifestyle, beans are not part of your diet (I hope you have access to some Paleo hummus recipes or something!), but otherwise... addiction to this stuff is quick!

Lately we have been trying to save some cash, and a large tub of Sabra (or really, most brands) can ring up anywhere from $5-$7... and my family much rather spend that on other items. So, I decided I would try and make my own, cheaper- yet still as delicious- version!


I added avocado for a bit more flavor and healthy fat content!

I just mashed this up myself, and it obviously came out chunkiet than regular hummus (I actually liked it that way)... however, next go around I plan to use a food processor or blender. 

Avocado Hummus

1 avocado
1 can beans (I used a can of mixed beans, but you can use any)
1 TBSP melted coconut oil
1 TBSP garlic powder
Dash of cumin
Dash of Paprika
Fresh lemon juice
chopped fresh cilantro

1) Drain and rinse your beans.
2) Split open and take the seed out of the avocado, and scoop the meat in a bowl (or blender, if you use that method). (I know this part was obvious, but I just love how pretty avocados look!)
3) Combine all ingredients into a bowl and mash it up with a fork or potato masher (or simply press the "on" button for your blender...)

That's it! I thought the hummus had a wonderful, summery taste... plus that cilantro really gives it a kick.
I used this with just regular veggies, but also loved to spread a bit on my home made bread, or one of those lettuce wraps I mentioned in my first WIAW.

This recipe really is cheaper than buying Sabra (I still love them though. If they ever want people to review their products, they know who to contact!). For the time being, I will be making this stuff regularly!

Have you ever tried hummus?
What do you eat it with?

Natalie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In US, the most popular brand of hummus is Sabra. Hummus is so yummy!
Is Hummus Paleo

Blogger said...

3 Studies PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

This means that you actually burn fat by eating Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

VGN