Sunday, June 23, 2013

Why is Peanut Butter So ADDICTING?

Scratch that. Why is almond butter cashew butter walnut butter any flipping type of nut butter addicting?
Well, lets look at the facts here...

Nut butters are high in healthy fats, particularly the heart healthy mono saturated fats. Eating these fats have been linked to weight loss and a lower risk of developing breast cancer. Healthy fats in general are used to help our bodies absorb vitamins!

They serve as an excellent source of protein, great for anyone regardless if they eat meat or not. This goes to show that it IS possible to sustain a healthy, balanced diet WITHOUT the consumption of animal...a serving of peanut butter has up to 8 grams of protein!

They contain antioxidants. Roasted peanut butter in particular has over 22% more antioxidants than uncooked, and the same amount of substances that protect your cells as strawberries!

Could the reason so many find their selves drooling over the thought of this sticky stuff be due to the fact of a nutritional deficiency? Studies have shown that the body tends to crave food that contains a source it is lacking.

Whatever the reason, all I know is that I LOVE nut butters. I have yet to find something that they DON'T taste good with...

Example being:
Peanut butter and Jicama. Yeah, that just happened.

I mean, it wasn't THAT far of a stretch really... if you never have had a Jicama before, its slightly sweet and crunchy. Not so far from an apple, right?

Hey, don't judge until you've tried it. 

I don't always have to feel so weird when I form odd peanut butter combinations, because my best friend, Taylor, also has an undying passion for the stuff! Here are a few combos to check out if you haven't already, and I promise you won't be disappointed, no matter which nut butter you choose!

Sweet potato and nut butter
Oatmeal and nut butter
Frozen bananas and nut butter
Soup made with nut butter 
Ezekiel bread with nut butter
Carrots with nut butter
Healthy baked goods with nut butter  
And, ahem, Jicama and nut butter.

If I develop a peanut allergy any time soon, I think I really am going to be in trouble. I better go knock on my wooden kitchen table now, just to ensure that NEVER happens. Ever.

So, what do you think is the reason nut butters are so addicting? What is YOUR favorite kind, and how do you enjoy it?

Feel free to share recipes !

Natalie




1 comment:

Unknown said...

My favorites are cashew and sunflower seed butter! Put it on celery, pretzels, or spoon it right out of the jar!!!

VGN