Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Pumpkin Walnut Raisin Bars! With ALMOND BUTTER! Paleo, Dairy Free, Sugar Free

Ohhhh. The sweet, sweet goodness of pumpkin.
With walnuts.
AND RAISINS.
Did I mention the fact that I just combined all these into a delicious, HEALTHY bar? I guess I could call them a breakfast bar, because I usually eat them as my first meal of the day. They could easily be used for a snack or healthy dessert though! I feel they are just sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth and keep you a happy camper without going over board on the sugar content, even though all sweetness in this recipe comes from natural sources.

But I havnt even told you the best part. Sure, the sweetness of the pumpkin and raisins mix fantastically with the savory taste of walnuts... but when you put ALMOND BUTTER on these babies? Man oh man.

I make these pretty frequently, and find that adding in some shaved carrot gives it an even nicer crunch. It is super easy to make with hardly any clean up, and quickly cooks (leaving a great aroma in the air, might I say!).

This is another example of the AWESOME items that are featured on my meal plans from Natalie Wester: Holistic Meal Planning. Check out my services and message me for more information So, drum roll please... here's the recipe for these guys... who, by the way, are Paleo friendly :)


Yields 6-8 bars
1 15 oz can pumpkin (be sure it isnt pumpkin pie filling)
2 whole eggs
1/4 cup walnuts, crushed
1/4 cup raisins
1 medium carrot, shaved
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 TSP baking powder
1 TSP cinnamon
1/2 TSP nutmeg
1/2 TSP ginger
1/4 TSP clove
1/2 TSP vanilla extract
1/3 cup almond milk (or other non dairy milk)

1-2 TBSP almond butter (or other nut butter of choice) for serving

1) Preheat oven to 350
2)Combine pumpkin, almond milk, eggs.
3) Add the coconut flour, baking powder, spices, raisins, walnuts, and mix well, making sure there are no annoying "patches" of dry ingredients.
4) Mix the shaved carrot and vanilla in.
5) The should form a more of a "dough" rather than a liquid-like batter. It should be easy to transfer it into a cooking pan (a medium sized brownie pan should work fine).
6) Bake for about 45 minutes, or until top is firm and a fork/toothpick comes out clean.
7) Let cool, then cut a bar in half. Place the nut butter on one half and top with the other half. Enjoy!

I usually just cover my pan with foil, and it lasts about a week in the fridge.

No comments:

VGN