Sunday, June 16, 2013

Natalie Wester: Holistic Meal Planning and a Recipe!

    As many of you knowI am a full time high school student that has been studying holistic wellness for the past few years and have big plans to get my holistic health certification. In my local area I have made customized meal plans for family, friends, and teachers using my knowledge of what I have already studied and am currently studying. All my clients are aware I am not *yet!* licensed, but are helping me out and trust my workmanship and current knowledge. I am trying to gain publicity as well as raise some funds so that I can continue with the fitness and nutritional education I need in order to get where I want. 
   Hopefully this blog can be a path through which I document my journey and gain support. I love to read other bloggers and do so religiously! So why couldn't I start doing the same?
  Recently I created my own facebook page for my meal planning services, Natalie Wester: Holistic Meal Planning. Check it out! I have been studying nutrition for years now and have helped clients who are simply trying to loose weight, or who have conditions such as diabetes. I advocate a down to earth, no nonsense approach to health and fitness and create my plans to be the most time efficient, tasty, and budget friendly as possible. Message me on my page or email me at natiann123@yahoo.com for more information! 

  In the mean time... it's recipe time!! 


Summer Squash Lentil Stew 


This recipe is so easy, fresh, and light. Lentils not only are a fantastic source of protein, but are also easy to make and are relatively cheap! Topped with a bit of cilantro, I enjoyed a warm bowl of this under my ceiling fan in this blasted hot Texas weather, and still felt it was perfect for a summer day. Bonus points if you buy from a local farmers market!

Yields 4 servings 
1 cup dry lentils, rinsed 
1/2 pound lean ground turkey 
2 medium yellow summer squash, cut bite sized
1 medium zucchini, cut bite sized 
1 medium carrot, chopped
1/2 medium onion, diced 
1-2 medium tomatoes, diced 
2 1/3 cup plus 1/3 cup (seperate) unsalted vegetable or chicken stock
2 TBSP unsalted tomato paste
1 TBSP Cumin
1/2 TBSP Chile powder 
1/2 TBSP Garlic powder
TSP Curry powder 
1/2 TSP Sea salt or other course salt 
Fresh cilantro to add in and to top
Black pepper to taste 

1) In a pan, add 1/3 cup unsalted vegetable or chicken stock. Once hot, add meat, and simple meat seasonings of choice (I usually add in the spices noted above, just in adjusted amounts.) Keep the spices simple, as you only want to slightly enhance the flavor of the meat and not overpower the flavor of the stew. 
2) Cook meat in pan until browned slightly, then set aside and cover.  
3)On medium-high heat, bring 2 cups of unsalted vegetable or chicken stock to a boil. Add rinsed lentils, let boil for about 2 minuets, then bring down to a roll and cover until veggies are chopped, usually about 10 minuets. 
4) In the mean time, chop your veggies! Once this is done, add the spices and all veggies but tomato to the lentil mixture and bring heat up so that the mixture is on a harder roll, or soft boil. This will soften the veggies, about 10-15 minuets.
5) Add the tomato, the 2 TBSP tomato paste, and the turkey meat with any liquid left with it, bring heat down again to a soft roll, and cover for another 10 or so minuets.
6) A few minutes before serving, toss in cilantro so that it can wilt in the heat. Mix it in, than serve with a bit of fresh served as a topping! 

This is a filling, low calorie meal that I would totally eat with a slice of home made bread. The time and effort needed are low, yet the results are incredible! 

For more recipes like this, check out my Holistic Meal Planning services! Tell me what you think, and any ideas, comments, or suggestions are totally wanted and welcomed! 

Natalie 

No comments:

VGN